Feedback needed: vmod_reqwest

Guillaume Quintard guillaume.quintard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 15:14:06 UTC 2022

Hi all,

In January, I wrote here about *vmod_reqwest* and today I'm coming back
with a major update and a request for the community.

Little refresher for those who don't know/remember what vmod_request is
about: https://github.com/gquintard/vmod_reqwest.
In short it does *dynamic backends* and HTTP requests from VCL *(à la
vmod_curl*).
Some random buzzwords to make you click on the link: *HTTPS, HTTP/2, gzip,
brotli, parallel requests, sync/async*, cryptocurrency.

The main benefit of this release is the *probe support.* vmod_reqwest is
now capable of handling probes the same way native backends do, but
combined with dynamic backends, it allows you one pretty neat trick: you
can probe one backend to set the health of another
<https://github.com/gquintard/vmod_reqwest#backend-using-a-probe-to-one-backend-to-determine-anothers-health>
.

The API is fairly complete and ergonomic I believe, but I would love to get
more hands and eyes on this to break it/make it better. If some of you have
opinions and/or want to take it for a spin, there are build explanations in
the README <https://github.com/gquintard/vmod_reqwest#build-and-test>, as
well as a Dockerfile
<https://github.com/gquintard/vmod_reqwest/blob/main/Dockerfile> [1] that
will build onto the official image without polluting it.

Let me know what you think of it!

[1]: thanks @thomersch for the help and push on the Docker front
--
Guillaume Quintard