Varnish-cache as private CDN

InfoVerse Inc. info at infoverse.ca
Tue Nov 22 03:11:07 UTC 2022

Hello list,

I am working on a design to use Varnish-Cache as a private CDN. The
solution is for a small regional ISP in a remote region who wants to
provide fast cached content to its users and minimize access to the
Internet.

Since this is an ISP, the users accessing the Internet can be routed to
varnish cache servers, however, in the event of a "miss" the content should
be fetched from the Internet. This is a different requirement than the
traditional backend server.

How can this be achieved with Varnish? I have done a bit of research on
backends, directors but they all require a server or group of servers whose
content can be cached.

Is it possible to configure multiple Varnish storage servers as backends?
The storage servers will fetch data from the Internet in case of a miss. Is
this a workable solution?

Looking forward to a solution.

Thanks
InfoVerse