CLI result = 300, how to troubleshoot?

Jakob Bohm jb-varnish at wisemo.com
Wed Feb 15 14:48:55 UTC 2023

On 2023-02-15 12:27, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> Dridi Boukelmoune writes:
>
>>> Change will take effect when VCL script is reloaded
>>> Child launched OK
>>> CLI result = 300
>>>   failed!
>>>
>>> Now the questions are what does this mean?, and how do I get
>>> a more detailed error message?  Obviously, the failure to
>>> start varnishd makes varnishlog useless, but maybe there is
>>> another log file for such startup errors.
>>
>> There may be something in your syslog, otherwise it is hard to tell
>> without knowing what the init script is up to.
>
> CLI commands are logged to the shared memory log, so
>
> 	varnishlog -d -g raw
>
> may be able to tell you something

Thanks for the tip.  Invoking varnishd (not varnishlog) with the -d
option revealed the error: Varnish doesn't like binding to both a
specific IPv4 address (such as 192.0.2.3) and all remaining IPv4
addresses (0.0.0.0) on the same command line.

Not working
   varnishd -a 192.0.2.3 -a 0.0.0.0 ...
Working
   varnishd -a 0.0.0.0 ...