Need Assistance in Configuring Varnish to Retain and Ignore Unique Parameter in Request URL while caching

Uday Kumar uday.polu at indiamart.com
Tue May 30 10:43:33 UTC 2023

Hello everyone,

In our system, we're currently using Varnish Cache in front of our Tomcat
Server for caching content.

As part of our new requirement, we've started passing a unique parameter
with every URL. The addition of this unique parameter in each request is
causing a cache miss, as Varnish treats each request as distinct due to the
difference in the parameter. Our intent is to have Varnish ignore this
specific parameter for caching purposes, so that it can treat similar
requests with different unique parameters as identical for caching purposes.

Expected Functionality of Varnish:

1. We need Varnish to ignore the unique parameter when determining if a
request is in the cache or while caching a request.

2. We also need Varnish to retain this unique parameter in the request URL
when it's passed along to the Tomcat Server.

We're looking for a way to modify our Varnish configuration to address the
above issues, your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Regards
Uday Kumar