Future plans

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Sun Jul 9 06:21:22 CEST 2006

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> I don't want to get into URI cleanup at all.  My preference would
> be to do the opposite:  hash on $host+" "+$url_without_host because
> trimming the host from absolute URIs is practically free whereas
> normalizing them is text-processing.

Well, we still want to:

 - convert the Request-URI from absolute URI to absolute path when the
   client specifies an absolute URI (RFC2616 5.1.2)

 - compare the Request-URI to the Host: header if both were specified,
   and reject the request if they don't match

 - recognize when the Request-URI includes authentication information
   (http://user:password@host:port/path/to/document)

> If for some reason people need to do normalization, we can add
> it as a VCL operation.

Judging by how many of my colleagues ask me the "does Varnish replace
mod_security" question, I can pretty much guarantee you that URL
normalization will be a popular feature.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer