Key dates Varnish

Anders Berg andersb at vgnett.no
Tue Mar 7 10:57:49 CET 2006

> In message <1947.193.213.34.102.1141692949.squirrel at denise.vg.no>, "Anders
> Berg

>>> I've decided to tackle the "varnish programming language" compiler
>
> Varnish Configuration Language makes more sense, it is less frightening
> that a "programming language".

Yes. I would guess so.

>>But I am having trouble to structure the document right.
>
> I actually like it, we will need a reference document like that at the
> end.
>
> Here are some comments:
>
> 	no-cache -> no_cache
> 	no-new-cache -> no_new_cache
> 		I realized that it is easier if I don't have to check
> 		for double meaning of '-' so lets use underscore instead.
>
> 	req.ttlfactor
> 		I actually wanted to have one per request also, so that
> 		it is possible to decide that somebody isn't very important.
> 		(microsoft proxy thing)
>
> 	req.backend
> 		Not sure what I was thinking.

Fixed. One thing that eluded me so far is how we are gonna configure the
storage backend(s).

Are we looking at something like:

storage.type = disk|memory
storage.size = 200M
storage.depth = 16 256
storage.algorithm = LRU

But that means they must be configurable in runtime. What happens when one
changes: storage.type = disk -> storage.type = memory ?

Or is this gonna be implemented from the commandline tool and part of the
managment protocol?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ab