New with varnis

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Tue Jul 24 10:17:19 CEST 2007

IF I understood Varnish's principle of operation, is that it mmaps a
large file -- in effect creating a sort of "RAM backed by disk".  Things
are flushed periodically, and whenever the computer is low on RAM
(memory pressure increases), it starts to remove things from RAM and
re-read things from disk as necessary.

Certainly makes more sense than the Squid approach.

On mar, 2007-07-24 at 07:50 +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <33d607980707231131ib1fe195lab7424e0433ca2e8 at mail.gmail.com>, "Santi
> ago Del Castillo" writes:
> >Hi, I'm willing to try varnish on our production environment. Right
> >now I've 5 squids running and serving static files. (1.3 million files
> >~40k each and counting)
> >
> >I've some questions about varnish and the difference with squid.
> >
> >- Is it possible to set the amount of RAM varnish should use?
>
> No, Varnish will use whatever is available because Varnish relies
> on the Virtual Memory system of the kernel to do the RAM/disk
> scheduling.
>
> >- Varnish creates a directory tree like the one squid does?
>
> No, just a single file.
>
> >- Varnish starts dumping content to disk once memory is full?
>
> Depends on the VM strategy of your operating system.  In general
> you shouldn't need to worry about this at all.
>
> >- '-s' option limits the disk size varnish will use to store files?
>
> Yes.

	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) <rudd-o at rudd-o.com>
	The R Zone - http://rudd-o.com/
	GPG key ID 0xC8D28B92 at http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/

Now playing, courtesy of Amarok: You are scrupulously honest, frank, and straightforward.  Therefore you
have few friends.