Degraded operation

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed Sep 12 19:00:15 CEST 2007

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> I'm not entirely happy with this proposal for a large number of
> reasons, but instead of picking it apart, here are my thoughts
> on the subject.
>
> The first observation is that the entire concept of degraded mode
> is a minefield of decisions and trouble once you have multiple
> backends.

I know that you're allergic to the word "mode", and to a certain
extent I both understand and agree.  However, you are fighting a
strawman, because I didn't use that word.  There is nothing modal
about what I propose.

You're right that we can't keep objects around forever, because it
will cause swapping in situations where it otherwise wouldn't occur -
but don't throw out the baby with the bath water.  The rest of my
proposal is still valid: vcl_hit() still needs to be able to make a
decision about using the existing object or replacing it, vcl_miss()
still needs to be split in two, etc.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav