A few users see a blank page

Arne Kepp ak at openplans.org
Wed Feb 6 02:57:27 CET 2008

(Maybe this should be on -misc ?)

I've seen one odd (to me) problem like this that I was able to reproduce
consistently, thanks to the help of a user. If you are serving PHP, and
PHP is gzip'ing the output then clients behind a Squid proxy (on their
end) only get blank pages.

Squid records something like "TCP_MISS/200 416 GET <script name>? -
DIRECT/<ip address> text/html" in the logs, but doesn't appear to get
the page.

Moving gzip compression from PHP to Apache solved this particular
problem, but I still have users reporting blank pages every now and
then. I've been accused of blocking all sorts of clients for this reason.

My VCL file is simple, it's the standard logic + lookup for image and
css extensions and pass for everything else (also tried pipe).

-Arne