Adjusting the parents watchdog timer

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Feb 26 23:33:32 CET 2008

In message <5F33B9BE-E875-41AE-940E-5CEFB0391C8B at cheney.net>, Dave Cheney write
s:

>Adjusting the timeout to 15 seconds has keep a machine which was
>previously restarting the child up to 4 times a day stable for over 24
>hours.
>
>Clearly the watchdog timeout exists for a reason and adjusting it this
>high is only a placebo. I'll try reducing the timeout slowly  to
>figure out exactly what is causing the child to timeout.

The default value is very much a number pulled out of thin air, and
it is certainly not inconceiveable that it needs tweaking.

In general I would expect 5 seconds to be enough, and I would like to
find out why they are not.

It may help if you plot (using munin ?) the activity on the machine
and see if you can correlate the hickups with activitity.