Caching issue

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Mar 7 23:56:05 CET 2008

In message <47D1C0B0.4030007 at npr.org>, Shain Miley writes:

>   12 VCL_call     c miss
>   12 VCL_return   c fetch

Varnish didn't find a cache-hit and I guess you didn't log the
backend transaction here, so I don't know what the backend told us.

>   12 Length       c 455
>   12 VCL_call     c deliver
>   12 VCL_return   c deliver
>   12 TxProtocol   c HTTP/1.1
>   12 TxStatus     c 503
>   12 TxResponse   c Service Unavailable

It looks a lot like it didn't even get hold of the backend...

Possibly because it couldn't resolve the name of it or because
it didn't have a route to the backend.

It looks like you ran varnislog with a -c argument, try leaving
that out so that the backend transaction also gets logged.