varnishd and PAE

Per Buer perbu at linpro.no
Tue Nov 4 07:56:12 CET 2008

Hi,

Nathan Uno skrev:

> I'm running varnishd on PAE-enabled kernel (on PAE-capable hardware).
> At startup varnishd recognizes that this is a 32-bit operating system
> and restricts the cache size to 2GB.  I *think* PAE should prevent me
> from running out of address space - is this a correct understanding?

No. PAE makes it possible for you operating system to address more then
4Gb of memory. Unless there is is specific support in the application
(there isn't) it will still be limited to a 32bit address space.

> If so, is there a way for me to ask varnishd to ignore this limitation?

No, sorry. 3 or 4 years ago it might have made sense to add the
possibility to work around this limit (maybe by having several cache
children each with 2GB) - but it is hardly relevant any more. There
isn't much 32 bit hardware left these days.

--
Per Buer
http://linpro.no/ | http://redpill.se/