Bug? Barage of hits leads to failure creating worker threads / stats tracking

Ray Barnes tical.net at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 21:32:41 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 3:16 PM, Rafael Umann <rafael.umann at terra.com.br>wrote:

> 32 bits restrict you to use more than ~2.5gb of ram.

I'm sure you know about PAE kernels, so I'm assuming there is some other
artificial limit at 2.5GB, like SHM space maybe?

> Try decreasing your cache size to see if you can open more threads
> (allocate memory for threads instead of using it all for cache) and also set
> the stack size smaller:
>
> # vi /etc/security/limits.conf
>
>  * soft stack 512
> * hard stack 512
>
> (use 512kb of mem per thread)
> or
>
>  * soft stack 1024
> * hard stack 1024
>
> (use 1mb of mem per thread)

I tried 512kb, then logging off and back on, then starting varnish with 800
threads being tried.  Same result:

         356  N worker threads
         356  N worker threads created
         181  N worker threads not created
Note that 356 + 181 is not 800.  It actually did not do this initially, it
said 201 worker threads and 840 created (it always does strange things like
this when I try creating more threads than the box can handle).  And the
program that spawns threads, still tells me 383 is the max it can make.

-Ray