r4097 - trunk/varnish-cache/lib/libvarnish

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Aug 6 15:57:03 CEST 2009

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> I originally asked to have the SVN version in there, and if not exactly
> in those words, then by intention of "just like FreeBSD does it".
>
> I certainly don't run a GNU platform and I have not had problems with
> the code

Take a closer look - unless you use GNU make, you'll see that it breaks
dependency tracking for libvarnish, which, with the svnversion hack, is
always considered dirty.

> so I would like it back, until a better solution, which will be very
> welcome, is offered.

There is a better solution: the RCS ID of every source file is embedded
in a string in the object, "just like FreeBSD does it".  This is a
better solution not only because it does not break dependency tracking,
but because it is more detailed, and covers more than just libvarnish.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no