behaviour when client drops the connection?

Rogério Schneider stockrt at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 05:05:08 CEST 2009

Stuart, I think 60 minutes is too much time even for Varnish to wait.
In default configuration Varnish would wait only for, if I remember, 60
seconds and then give up on that request.

This can be tuned with -p params, like "first_byte_timeout". You can read
more here:

http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/browser/trunk/varnish-cache/bin/varnishd/mgt_param.c

Best Regards,

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 10:11 PM, stuart yeates <stuart.yeates at vuw.ac.nz>wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm looking to use varnish in front of an XSLT/PostgreSQL/Tomcat/Java
> site and have a question about varnish's behaviour when a client drops a
> connection.
>
> The problem is that there are a relatively small number of pages which
> are _very_ slow to generate (>60 minutes) and a large number that are
> relatively fast. Clients tend to abort the slow pages, so (using our
> current reverse proxy) they never make it into the cache.
>
> Ideally I'd like to make varnish continue the request and cache the
> result. Is that possible?
>
> Is there a way to make these slow-to-generate pages have a much longer
> cache-time?
>
> cheers
> stuart
>
> --