Varnish showing hex characters from Jakarta-Tomcat connector protocol

David Brown captkiddo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 15:08:16 CEST 2010

You were right, it was wrong. The change I made to the VCL fixed the one
problem but screwed up the rest of the site so I had to back it out.

Attached is a varnish log of the activity. I have some tcpdumps at various
points too if you need them.

I still think it's connected to tomcat and specifically the JK connector. It
seems the JK connector has an 8K limit (AJP 1.3) and breaks up large files
in the transmission between tomcat and the webserver. The characters may be
(?) part of JK's breakup of the file. My reasoning is because I can take the
same file and place it directly on the web server and no problem, only when
it comes from tomcat/jk do we have these issues. ( I can't convince the
programmers to take static content out of their java apps and put it on the
server )