Memory barriers

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed May 19 21:30:17 CEST 2010

In message <15639.1274170643 at critter.freebsd.dk>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" writes:
>In message <4BF24C0A.40508 at schokola.de>, Nils Goroll writes:
>
>>http://varnish-cache.org/changeset/4796
>>
>>Once you're at it, it would appear to me that adding differentiated macros for
>>load/store/both (AMD64: lfence/sfence/mfence) or even more specific macros was >a good idea.
>
>Only if I need them.

Ok, I just found out that Linux does not expose the various membar
macros to userland (there is a proposal for a syscall to do it ??)
So I bit the bullet and add the VMB VTLA and put a pthread-compat
version in it, since that will be cheaper than a syscall on any OS
with a decent pthread implementation.

Poul-Henning

PS: Please hand me the ability to edit POSIX standards unhindered for
just one day, and the world will be a better place, I promise...