It's possible to have dinamic backends?

Kacper Wysocki kacperw at online.no
Sat Sep 11 17:38:01 CEST 2010

2010/9/10 Nils Goroll <slink at schokola.de>:
> Hi Guillermo,
>
>> So, going back to the point, there is any way of configuring the host
>> to use for a request, without it being defined in the backends
>> section? I can generate the IP if needed.
>
> I usually use perl code to generate the VCL, that way can just generate the
> backend selector
>
>        if (req.http.X-Panel = "1") {
>                set req.backend = server1;
>        } else if (req.http.X-Panel = "2") {
>                set req.backend = server2;
>
> An alternative is the VSLP director I have written. I haven't published it yet,
> as I have quite a lot of open tickets with patches I proposed, and I don't see
> much value in preparing patches if the core developers don't have enough
> resources to review them. The director is ready, I am using it in production on
> a high traffic site.

Nils: this VSLP director of yours looks fairly interesting, but maybe
you could post a {patch,github repo,other source} so that people can
look at it instead of reimplementing their own versions?

Guillermo: we accidentally slipped off list, that wasn't intentional
so here we are again. Your approach seems reasonable given the DNS
redirector design. This will let DNS pick the backend and varnish will
cache the response, that might make it a little more manageable.

-K