Streaming development

Martin Blix Grydeland martin at varnish-software.com
Thu Oct 6 10:21:11 CEST 2011

Hi Thomas,

Range requests and streaming are right now mutually exclusive features. If a
range request comes in, it will loose it's do_stream flag. I am working on
enabling the range support on streaming requests, and for the streaming case
this means the clients will receive the range bytes at the time they become
available on the stream (backend request still asks for the whole object). I
hope to have something finished for this within a couple of weeks.

Allowing range requests against the backend and populating the cache from
those bits is not something we are working on right now. It would then
require ETAGs matching to guard against the backend object being altered
over the life time of the cached object, and will require some heavy
thinking to get right. We might look into doing this some time, but it is
not in the plans right now.

Regards,
Martin Blix Grydeland

--