Load balancing geographically distributed nodes with varnish - a good idea?

Adrian Otto aotto at mosso.com
Thu Sep 15 18:10:19 CEST 2011

Thomas,

I agree with Artur that DNS is a good place to decide where you want to route people on a global basis in a situation where you have a temporary regional overload. That's how most CDN networks solve that issue. You could use an API controlled DNS service like Route 53 from AWS, and when you detect the congestion condition, adjust the DNS records to respond with alternate IP addresses that have adequate capacity available. You will need to use a DNS TTL with a relatively low value, perhaps in the 10 minute range. This should allow you to automatically shed load away from your congested sites.

Adrian