Size issues in ncsa log with gzip

Delacroix, Gauthier Gauthier.Delacroix at coreye.fr
Fri Feb 17 16:49:32 CET 2012

Hi,

I'm currently migrating from Varnish 2.0.6 to 3.0.2 (yup, big jump!) and
played a little with gzip feature but I'm a little disappointed about
its consequences on ncsa logs (I need to parse this log to build per
host statistics).

1. It sound logical but NCSA size of a gzipped request is the compressed
size, and I see no way to get uncompressed size for my statistics 2.
When responding to a client not supporting compression (no
"Accept-Encoding" header), Varnish send a chunked response. Of course
there is no "Content-Length", but varnishncsa also shows zero as a
size...

Is there a way to ask varnishncsa to log the "real size" of an object
instead of its "Content-Length" value ?
It seems obvious that varnish do not know the size of the gzipped
object, but could there be a way to "store" the real size with the
object itself ?

Thanks !

Gauthier