can not load more VCL with error "cannot allocate memory", but with plenty memory left

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Sat Sep 8 10:53:00 CEST 2012

Hi Zheng,

This question belongs on varnish-misc. This list is for development issues.

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Zheng Liu <huozhe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have seen people report exactly the same error, but there is no solution
> to it. I hope some one here can shed some light on the issue. I saw a very
> high SMA.s0.c_fail "allocator failures". I think it is related. Is there a
> way to free some memory to just fit in the VCL config? I hate to restart
> the instance, since filling it up (160G) takes 1 day.

I'm guessing this is the somewhat screwed up overcommit logic on Linux.
Could you try to set it to "1" and try again? echo 1 >
/proc/sys/vm/overcommit_memory or something.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer