what is the ttl?

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Thu Aug 28 13:46:19 CEST 2014

On 08/28/2014 08:43 AM, Nils Goroll wrote:

> On 28/08/14 08:35, Geoff Simmons wrote:
>> When we find ourselves saying "users should really understand"
>> and "documentation should make it clear", we have unmistakable
>> indicators of strong potential for confusion. %^)
>
> Then my suggestion must be really bad.
>
> What's yours?
>
> At least Per and myself think that having (beresp|obj).something
> representing the overall TTL (from the Age=0 point in time) would
> be helpful.
>
> Any suggestions on how "something" should be named?

Looks like this will be me agreeing with phk again -- if "something"
can be expressed in terms of the other variables, then what was the
compelling need for it?

Earlier in the thread you brought this up:

        sub vcl_backend_response {
                set beresp.ttl = 120s;
	}

> if the received object has "Age: 60", it will get cached for one
> minute only.

Then how about this?

        sub vcl_backend_response {
		# TTL adds another two minutes, regardless of
		# current Age.
                set beresp.ttl = 120s + beresp.age;
	}

This would mean exposing (beresp|obj).age -- we seem to have a
consensus on that.

Then again, someone might really want to set beresp.ttl=120s -- i.e.
no more than a total of two minutes, including any current Age. It
looks right to me, to be able to express the distinction this way.

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917