Varnish project autumn cleaning

Kristian Lyngstol kly at redpill-linpro.com
Wed Nov 4 12:32:33 CET 2015

On Tue, Nov 03, 2015 at 09:13:31AM -0800, Jos Boumans wrote:
> > On Nov 3, 2015, at 12:23 AM, Kristian Lyngstol <kly at redpill-linpro.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, Nov 02, 2015 at 10:22:30AM -0800, Jos Boumans wrote:
> >> What’s the gating factor here for you? Time, cost, expertise?
> >> Is there a way the community can help you?
> >
> > Who is "you”?
>
> That would be those identifying themselves as ‘we’ in the original
> post. Presumably the same great folks who have offered & maintained:
>
>   https://www.varnish-cache.org/installation/debian
>   https://www.varnish-cache.org/installation/redhat
>
> See here, for your convenience, and apologies if that caused confusion:

No worries. It sounded like you suggested that phk should start
packaging software for a moment.

> > Lasse's mail is mostly about moving responsibility away from V-S over to
> > where it rightfully belongs: With the appropriate distros.
>
> The problem with that is that distros don’t update packages as upstream
> releases newer versions. They only release new versions of the OS, or
> if needed, security updates.

(...)

Ingvar and ssm represent downstream and are working on exactly this
issue, sorry if that wasn't evident in my mail.

The plan for Debian is to provide updated packages through backports,
and Ingvar is working on the solution[1] for EPEL and Fedora. As both
ssm and Ingvar are active users of the software and packages, that
should more than cover those distros. That still leaves Ubuntu, where I
figure a PPA is in order. No details on who will end up with that
responsibility yet, but it'll have to be resolved before
repo.varnish-cache.org can be discontinued (or whatever its fate will
be).

This means that instead of using repo.varnish-cache.org, you will get
the same type of updates from backports.debian.org and ingvar's
coprs-repo. Nobody will have have to wait for a new Debian stable or
RHEL release to get a newer Varnish version.

[1] https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/ingvar/varnish41/builds/

> Any thoughts & constructive criticism much appreciated,

I think we're pretty much on the same page, just a slight
misunderstanding. No change in what's available except for the better,
but possible change in where to get it. Relevant guides/pages will
obviously be updated.

- Kristian