Varnish project autumn cleaning

Jos Boumans jos at dwim.org
Wed Nov 4 18:38:14 CET 2015

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 3:32 AM, Kristian Lyngstol <kly at redpill-linpro.com> wrote:
>
> The plan for Debian is to provide updated packages through backports,
> and Ingvar is working on the solution[1] for EPEL and Fedora. As both
> ssm and Ingvar are active users of the software and packages, that
> should more than cover those distros. That still leaves Ubuntu, where I
> figure a PPA is in order.

For Debian, EPEL & Fedora, that sounds like a perfrect solution. Regarding
PPAs, there’s one snag: A PPA can only host 1 version of a package at a
time. From https://help.launchpad.net/Packaging/PPA/Draft:

>>> Each user and team in Launchpad can have a single public PPA. If you want to have different versions of the same package, testing different features or focused on different use cases, then we would encourage you to create a new team and use the PPA for that team. That way, for example, you can have a team of people interested in "server" issues that has one version of the Apache package, and another interested in "workstation" issues that has a different version of the same package, each in a different PPA.

The obvious drawback here is that it forces people to roll forward with
Varnish releases, or the Ubuntu maintainer to host lots of teams & PPAs.

Perhaps this could be an alternative? They seem to offer OSS packages:

  https://packagecloud.io/

> I think we're pretty much on the same page, just a slight
> misunderstanding. No change in what's available except for the better,
> but possible change in where to get it. Relevant guides/pages will
> obviously be updated.

Awesome - thanks for clarifying.

—
Entropy isn’t what it used to be...