Assertion failure in VCL_DelBackend()

Geoff Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Mon Nov 16 16:41:37 CET 2015

On 11/16/2015 03:31 PM, Dridi Boukelmoune wrote:
>>> A backend when popens a CGI command for this request ?
>>
>> I'm sure I wouldn't do that by creating and then destroying a
>> struct director every time. Of course the API can be open for
>> unforeseen ideas, but in this case it seems like a real stretch.
>
> Agreed, deleting a struct director carelessly could lead to
> dangling pointers in other transactions.
>
> Maybe I should document a rule of thumb such as never deleting a
> struct director that is made available to VCL code. If you delete
> the director/backend underneath it's fine. You can simply get a
> NULL director from the resolve function.

Mmmm, this may be a misunderstanding, the context was PRIV_* scopes
for backends, such as PRIV_TASK or PRIV_TOP. I would argue that
creating backends at the beginning of such a scope and removing them
at the end is such an unlikely solution that we should consider not
supporting it.

But it sounds like you're saying backends should not be deleted under
any circumstances. That I don't agree with.

What should I do about backends that cease to exist, in a context
where it's not workable to reload a new static backend configuration?
That's what I want the runtime backend delete for.

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Scheffelstraße 32
22301 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917