Varnish project autumn cleaning

Kacper Wysocki kacperw at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 18:24:35 CET 2015

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Lasse Karstensen
<lkarsten at varnish-software.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 02:48:28PM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> [cut]
>> I'm currently disinclined to have a Wiki in the future, it seems
>> to never really have worked for us.  If we later find out we need
>> one, github or Wikia are obvious solutions.
>
> The wiki doesn't work because we've turned off user registrations
> to combat spammers.
>
> I strongly believe we should revive it when we have the chance. (==github move)
>
> It is a natural place to keep information that is too specific to go
> into the main documentation, or too small of a detail to warrant a
> documentation commit.
>
> Just making a (living) FAQ that we can use in #varnish for the normal
> questions would be a big improvement. I'm happy to take point on this,
> if that is what it is needed.

So good to hear that revamping the site will be a priority going forward.
I'm happy to help in any way that I can.

I agree with Lasse that the wiki has an important place as a living
document, and that a whole lot of VCL snippets and varnish tricks are
ending up on Other Peoples Blogs™ because the trac wiki has been
broken (by spammers).

It may be useful in the future to give someone the wiki-admin-hat so
they can mark out-of-date content, avoiding the old issue of vcl
snippets for Varnish 2.0 still floating about.

That being said, getting a nicer ticketing system would be super sweet
and the old ticket system is definitely the first thing to deserve a
bullet.

cheers,
  0K