Adding -b (buffer size) parameter to varnishtest

Lasse Karstensen lkarsten at varnish-software.com
Fri Sep 11 14:59:43 CEST 2015

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 01:26:28PM +0200, Carlos Abalde wrote:
> When implementing in VCL complex logic (not necessarily related with caching contents -e.g. access control, rate limiting, etc.-) varnishtest is a powerful tool to automate VCL testing. These type of tests sometimes are complex and they are not easy to split in smaller pieces.
> In some extreme cases, the varnishlog buffer space allocated by varnishtest is not enough when testing complex VCL logic including a lot of logging. The size of that buffer is currently hard coded and it has been increased in the past [1]. This trivial patch allows selecting the size of that buffer in the command line.

Hi.

I've looked up the numbers, after Martin pointed out that 524288 bytes, or 6553 lines
80 character wide, is a lot of log to scroll through when looking for a problem.

Measurement strategy here is strlen() on jp->buf where it is being
printed/sent to the output. This is when running one test case per
varnishtest invocation.

At commit 1628f0b, there are 469 test cases. 34 produce more than 50KB log.
Of those 34, there are 7 that use more than 100KB:

g00007.vtc	101349
r00984.vtc	101711
e00028.vtc	101770
c00023.vtc	109899
b00048.vtc	121389 (runs 60 client requests)
r00345.vtc	137132 (32303B without -debug=+workspace)
e00017.vtc	147003

--
Lasse Karstensen
Varnish Software AS