Patch: Use calloc instead of malloc when running out of VSM space (common_vsm.c)

Devon H. O'Dell dho at fastly.com
Tue Mar 8 16:52:51 CET 2016

Depending on the implementation of the allocator used, calloc may not have
any additional overhead. When it does, there are really only a couple cases
it shouldn't happen on modern systems:

* If an object is allocated and freed in a tight loop. This shouldn't be
happening anyway -- reuse / pool objects with this sort of access pattern.
* If the object is large. Malloced memory should not be immediately visible
to multiple concurrent processes, and objects that consist of only a few
cache lines cost very little to zero on modern processors.

It may be worth auditing for these situations, but I've done extensive
profiling of extremely memory heavy workloads (hundreds of gb) in Varnish
over the past few years, and I promise that calloc is not a current
limiting factor in terms of latency or throughput.

Of course, if you're concerned about swapping, I'd also argue that your
cache is not properly sized.