Collapse libvarnish and libvarnishapi

Dridi Boukelmoune dridi at varni.sh
Thu Mar 17 17:16:35 CET 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 4:52 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> --------
> In message <56EAB17D.6020203 at uplex.de>, Geoff Simmons writes:
>
>>> Does it make any sense to have two "API" libraries any more ?
>>
>>Would that mean that all of libvarnish becomes a public API, as VSL
>>and VSC are now?
>
> Isn't it already a defacto public API for VMODS ?

It is because varnishd links to it, and for the includes that are
installed. I know bits were missing in the past (I remember vtim.h at
some point) but I can't talk for now.

>>If so, you probably can best answer the question -- commit to keeping
>>the API compatible over time, or take flak when there are incompatible
>>changes? Design the interfaces with this sort of thing in mind?
>
> Most of the stuff in the libraries are actually incredibly stable.

Then it should move from $(libdir)/varnish to $(libdir) and become a
first-class citizen.

libvarnishapi has a clear scope, but libvarnish OTOH is a catch-all
library kind of like libc and contains things that are sometimes
completely unrelated. It cover areas like date/time, tcp, string
buffers, and so much more so I don't see the benefit of merging them.

Dridi