VIP9 - Expanding VCL object support

Reza Naghibi reza at varnish-software.com
Fri Nov 11 16:24:06 CET 2016

> scoping is (mostly) implicit

I agree here. Not sure why I have been fixated on this ornamental
prefixing/casting, but I can do away with it. (top) would still exist and
any future scopes that are invented which fall into req/bereq would also
have to be casted in this way.

> variable uses out of order

Right now this seems to be a limitation in the vcc. Im tempted to say this
would simply be irksome for the time being. I would have to research how
this could be addressed, but im feeling this fix is out of scope right now
(and can be fixed independently of this VIP).

> uninitialised objects

This is a very valid concern and good thing you brought this up. When I
first read it, I thought about how other languages tackle this, in
particular, Java and C. Both languages either error out or warn at compile
time about uninitialized variables. So I think we could use the same
approach. If you define a variable inside of a control statement (if/else),
then that's a compile error due to it possibly being uninitialized and
unsafe. So this definitely needs to be addressed and fixed.

There is also some weirdness around defining variables inside of custom
subs. This worked on 4.0, but I think something changed in 5.0. So this
needs to be fixed too :)

> proper exception mechanism

Totally agree, right now you can only assert and take down the entire
process. There are many times where it would be nice to just have a
'request panic' and kill the request, but leave everything else intact. Not
sure if this feature is in scope for this VIP, but its definitely something
that VMODs and Varnish code in general needs access to.

> scope limits as vmod metadata

Ya, I thought about this and it probably makes sense to add this in just to
give VMOD authors more assurances that their objects will be used in the
way they expect. In theory, it shouldn't matter, but obviously in practice
there is a big difference in VCL global vs request vs [insert random scope
here]. So I will see if I can address this as well with some new vcc
definition syntax.

This is good feedback, thank you.

--
Reza Naghibi