VIP9 - Expanding VCL object support

Martin Blix Grydeland martin at varnish-software.com
Mon Nov 14 14:48:16 CET 2016

On Fri, 11 Nov 2016 at 16:24 Reza Naghibi <reza at varnish-software.com> wrote:

> > variable uses out of order
>
> Right now this seems to be a limitation in the vcc. Im tempted to say this
> would simply be irksome for the time being. I would have to research how
> this could be addressed, but im feeling this fix is out of scope right now
> (and can be fixed independently of this VIP).

Agreed that it it can be fixed independently, though I do think that the
new object powers will make the problem more prevalent.

> > uninitialised objects
>
> This is a very valid concern and good thing you brought this up. When I
> first read it, I thought about how other languages tackle this, in
> particular, Java and C. Both languages either error out or warn at compile
> time about uninitialized variables. So I think we could use the same
> approach. If you define a variable inside of a control statement (if/else),
> then that's a compile error due to it possibly being uninitialized and
> unsafe. So this definitely needs to be addressed and fixed.

We do not correctly handle object initialization inside of control
statements today, so disallowing that at compile time seems like a natural
first step. Though there are use cases where it would be nice to be able to
do that, so having a plan for what it should be like down the line would
help to make sure we don't get it wrong in the mean time.

Martin