Vtest compiler/arch issue

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Nov 21 21:47:54 CET 2016

I spent some time looking at this.

I want to avoid, to the fullest extent possible, that people have
to supply such information by hand, because they generally suck at
it, and we should be able to autodetect the compiler/target/architecture.

This patch will do it: (NB: Copy&Pasted)

	diff --git a/bin/varnishtest/Makefile.am b/bin/varnishtest/Makefile.am
	index 26563e2..6b7e4eb 100644
	--- a/bin/varnishtest/Makefile.am
	+++ b/bin/varnishtest/Makefile.am
	@@ -9,7 +9,15 @@ check: check-am check-local
	 check-am: check-local
	 # See if list of checks have changed, recheck
	 check-local:
	-       LC_ALL=C; \
	+       @echo "VTEST CCVER BEGIN"
	+       @ for i in --version -v -V -qversion ; \
	+       do \
	+               if ${CC} ${i} ; then \
	+                       break ; \
	+               fi \
	+       done
	+       @echo "VTEST CCVER END"
	+       @LC_ALL=C; \
		if [ "$$(cd $(srcdir) && echo tests/*.vtc)" != "@VTC_TESTS@" ]; then \
			cd $(top_builddir) && ./config.status --recheck ; \
		fi

Only, that doesn't work at all in practice.

I need to be able to build the "id" of the report also if the
"autogen" step fails, which is where the configure script
which eventually determins what compiler and target arch
will be.

Also, if makedistcheck ends up GOOD, the output does not get returned.

So I think we are stuck with manual input for this and maybe other
cases as well.

So I'm going to add a "message" variable in vtest.sh which the owner
of the machine can set, and that will be part of the 'id' and
displayed at the bottom line at the table header

People get to write whatever they want in that message, provided
they use max 10 char from the set [A-Za-z0-9/. _-].