hit-for-pass vs. hit-for-miss

Nils Goroll slink at schokola.de
Wed Sep 7 19:01:53 CEST 2016

Hi,

TL;DR please shout if you think you need the choice between hit-for-pass and
hit-for-miss.

On 02/09/16 20:10, Nils Goroll wrote:
> - previously:		hit-for-pass
> - now:		hit-for-miss

on IRC, phk has suggested that we could bring back hit-for-pass in a vmod *)

I would like to understand if bringing back hit-for-pass is a specific
requirement we have (in which case a vmod producing quite some overhead would be
the right thing to do) or if others have more cases which would justify a
generic solution in varnish core like this one:

>    sub vcl_hit {
> 	if (obj.uncacheable) {
> 		if (obj.http.Criterium) {
> 			return (miss);
> 		} else {
> 			return (pass);
> 		}
> 	   }
>   }

Thank you, Nils

*) using a secondary cache index (maybe as in the xkey vmod), mark objects we
want to pass for in backend_response, check in recv if the object is marked and
return(pass) if so.