hit-for-pass vs. hit-for-miss

Geoffrey Simmons geoff at uplex.de
Wed Sep 7 21:41:30 CEST 2016

This is worth responding to from vacation.

The "specific requirement we have" is a consequence of applying the HTTP protocol the way it was meant to be used -- responses specify their cacheability, without VCL having to intervene to classify which requests go to lookup or pass. Typically with a sequence of regex matched against URL patterns in vcl_recv.

That may indeed be unusual, but I see that a sad commentary on the state of web developers' knowledge about caching and HTTP. Not as somebody's peculiar requirement.

It would strike me as rather odd if a caching proxy has to treat it as a special case when backends actually do something the right way (like always set Cache-Control to determine TTLs).

Geoff

Sent from my iPhone