RFC: unify directors and backends vcl interface

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Sep 19 20:20:36 UTC 2018

--------
In message <CABoVN9Cq9zWMpCErJZcO+460QN-iF5jcaDDp_zjxjRDx9baukw at mail.gmail.com>, Dridi Boukelmoune writes:

>I think the confusion is mostly that we make an amalgam of the VMOD
>object and the underlying director. [...]

Well, there is a lot of ways to get confused, and I have yet to find
any obvious ways to make all the confusion go away.

I already thought about the hidden "are you a backend?" method Dridi
proposes, but it opens a lot of corner cases and becomes quite
complicated.

Most of the ideas I have toyed with, which supressed a *lot* of
confusion is stuff which forces a major version release, and I'm
not quite sure I'm ready for that yet.

One thing I *really* miss right now is some serious high-end
benchmarking, to inform decisions about how much CPU we can afford
to "waste" on stuff like this.