Varnish 1.1.2-6 RPM for Redhat EL 4

Ingvar Hagelund ingvar at linpro.no
Tue Mar 4 15:11:46 CET 2008

* Fredrik Nygren
> If you're in need of newer rpm's, like I was, for Redhat EL 4 i386...
> Here you go.
 >
> I called them 1.1.2-6 and the rpm files are attached.

To not break upgrades, please use a version naming convention that won't
break Red Hat's upgrade algorithm.

A build of a pre-1.1.3 svn checkout should be named something like
varnish-1.1.3-0.1.20080304svn

... or in specfile format:

Version: 1.1.3
Release: 0.1.20080304svn

This makes it possible to upgrade to a newer svn checkout, or an
upstream release varnish-1.1.3-1.

A patched build of 1.1.2 should be named something like
varnish-1.1.2-5.1.mypatchfixesfoo

... or in specfile format:

Version: 1.1.2
Release: 5.1.mypatchfixesfoo

In this way, it's possible to upgrade from your built version to a new
released version of 1.1.3 It's also visible that your patched version is
based on a newer build than a current 1.1.2-5 and makes an upgrade to a
newer upstream 1.1.2-6 from the varnish team possible. You may even add
another patch, and call varnish-1.1.2-5.2.evenmorepatchedversionfoo and
so on to ensure easy package upgrading.

btw, I didn't think you needed the preprocessor for gcc-c++ to make
varnish build. Is this really so?

Ingvar

--
Buddha wears an iPod