Varnish 1.1.2-6 RPM for Redhat EL 4

Fredrik Nygren fredrik.nygren at gotamedia.se
Wed Mar 5 14:47:42 CET 2008

I'm sorry. This was the first time I built rpm packages . I'm newbie
as you already know. I just followed the instructions here:
http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2008-March/001438.html

The bug caused us a lot of problem and we couldn't wait for the
official packages. I hope we can do some kind of rollback when the
official packages will arrive. But it solved our urgent problems.
Unfortunately not in a handsome way. I'm grateful you told me the
right way to do it.

The rpm build process failed without the gcc-c++ package (which
contains of libgcc, libstdc++, libstdc++-devel, cpp, gcc and gcc-c++)
installed. I'm not sure if the whole gss-c++ was necessary or if it
had been enough with just some of the included packages.

Regards
<fredrik />

On 4 mar 2008, at 15.11, Ingvar Hagelund wrote:

* Fredrik Nygren
> If you're in need of newer rpm's, like I was, for Redhat EL 4
> i386... Here you go.
 >
> I called them 1.1.2-6 and the rpm files are attached.

To not break upgrades, please use a version naming convention that
won't break Red Hat's upgrade algorithm.

A build of a pre-1.1.3 svn checkout should be named something like
varnish-1.1.3-0.1.20080304svn

... or in specfile format:

Version: 1.1.3
Release: 0.1.20080304svn

This makes it possible to upgrade to a newer svn checkout, or an
upstream release varnish-1.1.3-1.

A patched build of 1.1.2 should be named something like
varnish-1.1.2-5.1.mypatchfixesfoo

... or in specfile format:

Version: 1.1.2
Release: 5.1.mypatchfixesfoo

In this way, it's possible to upgrade from your built version to a new
released version of 1.1.3 It's also visible that your patched version
is based on a newer build than a current 1.1.2-5 and makes an upgrade
to a newer upstream 1.1.2-6 from the varnish team possible. You may
even add another patch, and call
varnish-1.1.2-5.2.evenmorepatchedversionfoo and so on to ensure easy
package upgrading.

btw, I didn't think you needed the preprocessor for gcc-c++ to make
varnish build. Is this really so?

Ingvar

--
Buddha wears an iPod