Purging. Now what?

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Tue Nov 14 10:33:38 CET 2006

On Tuesday 14 November 2006 10:07, Lennart Regebro wrote:
> On 11/14/06, Gaute Amundsen <gaute at pht.no> wrote:
> > 3 ) keep track of the urls in the cache, with or without the help of
> > varnish, so that I can purge them by HTTP PURGE.
>
> I don't see why you would need to keep track of what is cached. If a
> page has changed, purge it. It doesn't matter if it is in the cache or
> not. If it's not, then nothing gets purged. :-)
> This should be easily done with a HTTP call from the site system which
> calls a purge for the changed page, it's parent and maybe the
> frontpage or something (obviously dependent on your site structure).

Mostly because, as I said, many of our sites are large, and it is hard to
predict what pagees any one change wil affect, and many of our pages does not
even exist as recognizable objects, just as URLs.
( If you had ever worked with zope and it's concept of acquisition, you would
understand :-/ )

To be able to "watch the cache" would give me confidence that we where not
caching things that should not be.
Watching a "pool of cache misses" would be good as well, come to think of it.

Until prefetch is implemented in varnish, an added benefit would be the
ability to do that myself, by having "wget fetch the page" of what I just
purged.

Gaute