Purging. Now what?

Trond Michelsen trondmm-varnish at crusaders.no
Tue Nov 14 13:25:37 CET 2006

On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 11:58:27AM +0100, Gaute Amundsen wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 November 2006 11:04, Trond Michelsen wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 09:53:39PM +0100, Anders Berg wrote:
>>> With regards to your question about purging I must admit that I am
>>> unsure what you are trying to achieve. Could we be talking corner
>>> case here?
>> It's possible that I have an edge case for you :)
> Following the saying that one should allways try to make ones blunders in
> front of people who can tell you where you whent wrong, I will hazard a
> guess:
>
> Your best option is to keep track of every single tile that gets generated,
> and then do a match against that data to find what to purge when something
> changes.
> That way you can use your own regexps, in your own data, in the language of
> your choice, to find all the exact urls to purge, that have actually been
> served in your choosen period of time.
>
> If things change only a few times a day, I think I would just parse the logs
> there and then.

That seems unneccessary complex. I have to have some way of finding
the relevant URLs from the log, and that's likely to be a regex. And I
can't really see how it's easier to use a regex on a logfile to find
relevant URLs, then purging those URLs individually. Instead of simply
telling Varnish to purge all URLs matching the very same regex.

--
Trond Michelsen