log files

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed Apr 4 11:15:42 CEST 2007

Damien Wetzel <dwetzel at nerim.net> writes:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav writes:
> > Damien Wetzel <dwetzel at nerim.net> writes:
> > > i think it could be interresting to add a field in the ncsa logs
> > > telling if the object was delivered from the cache or had to be
> > > fetched.  Is there a way to get w3C log ?
> > That's what varnishncsa does.
> i haven't seen any fields using varnishncsa which refers to cache
> hits or miss the man talk about the possibility to get the logs in
> combined format but i don't how to do it

The output of varnishncsa *is* the so-called combined log format.  It
contains no information on cache hits / misses.

> > > and last is there a ay to remove ping pong lines from the logs ?
> > All the information you need is in the man page.
> it's my bad the man pages weren't installed after the make install
> command.

They most likely were.  Perhaps your MANPATH is wrong?

> PS: I don't think ESI for a v2 are a good addon.  ESI is mainly an
> akamai tool to catch customers but is not of real use.  the standard
> hasn't changed since 2002 and doesn't seem to be widely used.

You are mistaken.  ESI is widely used by large online news outlets and
portal sites, including some of Linpro's largest customers.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav
Senior Software Developer