[RFC] Changes to pass mode

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed Feb 7 11:54:34 CET 2007

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Does this make sense ?

Yes.

1) I've had trouble with PASS vs. PIPE in the past which have led me
   to conclude that PASS as it is today is not very useful.

   There is one downside to PIPE: we can't insert a header telling the
   backend that we're acting on behalf of a client, which makes
   logging difficult.  We *can* do so with PASS, though I believe we
   currently don't.

2) The current backend code is fragile, and the separate code paths
   make debugging it difficult; as I understand your proposal, the
   backend code will become more unified, which will help improve
   robustness and error handling and facilitate debugging.

> Any better ideas ?

Not off the top of my head...

> Does anybody even read this mail-list anymore ?  :-)

Yes :)

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav