logging problems - "Pipe Shut"

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Wed Jul 4 14:19:59 CEST 2007

On Wednesday 04 July 2007 09:47, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Gaute Amundsen <gaute at pht.no> writes:
> > On Tuesday 03 July 2007 16:30, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> > > Is this a 32-bit machine, BTW?
> >
> > It is. Quad Xeon 3 GHz.
>
> Ah, OK, you won't be able to process log files larger than about 2 GB on
> a 32-bit machine.  I should probably figure out a way to get around
> that.

Hm.. I had not tought of that. But we only have a 30G /var, so we wil need to
keep the files fairly small anyway.
Perhaps we can just save the nsca-log and delete the varnishlog right in the
postrotate-script, and then rotate every hour.

> > > Could you try the attached patch?
> >
> > Having some problems with that. My fault I'm sure, but I installed
> > from the RPM originaly, so I can't just re-run. Compilation goes fine,
> > but the binaries ends up widely different sizes. (5567 vs 168684)
> > before "make install" that is. After that it's 478984 vs 168684.  The
> > source rpms are no different i presume?
>
> What configure options did you use?  The difference in size is probably
> due to debugging symbols.

None at all. I'm not very knowledgeable about c development...

> > Is there a way to get the binary made without doing an install?
>
> You can install into a staging directory (make install
> DESTDIR=/tmp/varnish) and copy the files over manually if you prefer.

Ah, that's an improvement :)

But, anyway, I had much better results with the rpm, just a few K difference.
1.0.4-4el4.i386 running nicely now :)
( I cheked the cache_pipe.c that rpmbuild left behind to verify that the patch
was applied. )

But.. the problem with "Pipe Shut" persists.
Logging stopps within 5 minutes.

Doing 'tail /var/log/varnish/varnish.log | varnishlog -or /dev/stdin'
displays:
<snip>
  276 VCL_call
26992 RxRequest      e Shut read(read)
30578 (null)         ite(read)
  277 VCL_call
26992 (null)         e Shut write(read)
 8306 (null)         ead(read)
25888 (null)         Shut write(read)
24932 (null)         )
  276 VCL_call
26992 RxRequest      e Shut read(read)
30578 (null)         ite(read)
  277 VCL_call
26992 (null)         e Shut write(read)
 8306 (null)         ead(read)
25888 (null)         Shut write(read)
24932 (null)         )
  276 VCL_call
26992 RxRequest      e Shut read(read)
 9269 BackendOpen  b

When I let the vcl_recv default be pass, it seems much more stable.

Gaute