Regarding url purging

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Thu Jul 5 20:49:54 CEST 2007

On Thursday 05 July 2007 20:30, André Cruz wrote:
> On 2007/07/05, at 19:13, Gaute Amundsen wrote:
> > That's not easily done, as far as I have been able to determine.
> > I've submitted a feature request for it..
>
> Where is it so that I can vote for it? :) Do you know if it's
> targeted for 1.1?

http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/116
1.1? No idea. Don't think there is any voting system either..
Except perhaps bribing DES with a Mac ;-)

> > As I understand it, you can only use hostname as part of the url
> > when you
> > purge by http, but then no wildcards.
> > You can use full regexps when purging on the console, but then only
> > the path
> > is available to match against.
>
> Eeck.
>
> > I guess a workaround would be parse the log to make a list of all
> > urls served
> > within the expiery limit, do your filtering on that list, and then
> > purge all
> > the matching urls one by one by http.
>
> Thanks for your help but I think I'll wait either for regexp on http
> purging or full urls on console purging, which seem like basic
> functions to have anyway.

Hm, well, varnish is a pretty young project still you know :)
I think the majority of users so far are "one site shops", or can reliably
predict what wil have to be purged when something is updated..

Myself I'd rather have better url rewriting to be honest,
http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/77
then I could phase out apache from our current varnish->apache->zope setup.

Gaute