Regarding url purging

Gaute Amundsen gaute at pht.no
Fri Jul 6 12:59:59 CEST 2007

On Friday 06 July 2007 12:21, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <200707052013.24760.gaute at pht.no>, Gaute Amundsen writes:
> >On Thursday 05 July 2007 19:39, Andr=E9 Cruz wrote:
> >> I'm caching pages from different vhosts, say x.com and y.com.
> >>
> >> If I want to purge all the data from one of the vhosts how do I do
> >> it? "url.purge x.com.*" does not work. I'm a bit confused with the
> >> syntax since the wiki only talks about paths and not complete URLs.
> >
> >That's not easily done, as far as I have been able to determine.
> >I've submitted a feature request for it..
>
> And I've been thinking about it and may have come up with a solution:
>
> When we hash, we hash on a string that by default contains
>
> 	req.http.host "#" req.url "#"
>
> In your case for instance it owuld be:
>
> 	x.com#/#
>
> It looks like purges need to (be able) match against this string,
> rather than the url alone.
>
> I'm not sure what the exact form of the solution will be, but I
> may simply add another CLI command:
>
> 	hash.purge $regexp
>
> That matches against the hash string.
>
> The caveat of this is, that if the user customizes the hash string
> with vcl_hash(), he has to take this into account with his purge
> strings.
>
> But I can see how that could be an advantage also: one could "tag"
> object in vcl_hash with a class or token, which can later be used
> to purge the tagged objects.
>
> Do we have a ticket for this in trac already ?

That looks like a perfectly fine way to do it as far as my needs go.

Beeing able to saw off the branch youre sitting on, is not an unreasonable
possibility to expect if you want to play with powertools :)

Anyway I'd expect it would be possible to craft a regexp on the #'s that would
isolate any additions to the hash from changing the match, if that's what you
wanted..

Ticket?
This one I guess: http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/116

Thanks :)