Q: multiple backends

Ivan Voras ivoras at fer.hr
Fri Jul 6 12:50:32 CEST 2007

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Just saying "fault-tolerance" or "load-balancing" isn't saying much
> you see, we need to formulate strategies and algorithms...

What's wrong with the usual list:

- round-robin
- by load (measure response time from last x requests, send to the faster)
- by content (request .pngs from one server, .jpgs from the other)
- by address (request /dir1/* from one server, /dir2/* from the other)
- weighted (60% from one server, 40% from the other)

and the freaks:
- by hashing the incoming IP (so each IP gets bound to one server,
useful for cookies)
- by size (learn object sizes, get smaller objects from one server,
larger from the other)
- by cookie (learn cookies, hash/bin them to servers)

? :)

(this post is a half-joke, I agree there are so many options that it's
hard to pick the best ones :) )