Small varnish 1.1 test with openrealty and joomla.

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Jul 31 01:48:33 CEST 2007

I have set up varnish for a Joomla/OpenRealty site with a lot of
dynamic page generation and it seems to be working fine or I have
convinced myself that it is;)
I'm running the same site on another machine for comparison and
checking varnishstat, etc.

I only had to change #varnishd_listen=":6081" to :80 in the
rc.d/varnish of freebsd and add the following to
etc/varnishd/default.vcl

          sub vcl_recv {
              if (req.request == "GET" && req.http.cookie) {
                  lookup;

          sub vcl_fetch {
              if (obj.http.Set-Cookie) {
                  insert;

to cache the joomla/OpenRealty pages.  It seems to be but I guess I
need some assurance;)

I have a couple of questions:

   1.  Is the above the best way to cache dynamically generated CMS pages?
   2.  I am running it without vhosts.  I have tried and cannot get vhosts
       to work.  The only thing that I've found that might work would be
       the vcl routines for multiple vhost backends from the vcl man page:

          The following example shows how to support multiple sites
          running on separate backends in the same Varnish instance,
          by selecting backends based on the request URL.

       but that seems to be overkill.  What is the recommended way to
       handle apache virtual hosts?
   3.  I'm also running eaccelerator for php.  Is that a good idea?
   4.  Is there additional documentation on initial set up?  The manuals
       seem to be pretty good, they have gotten me this far.

Thanks for any and all suggestions,

ed