Small varnish 1.1 test with openrealty and joomla.

eculp at encontacto.net eculp at encontacto.net
Tue Jul 31 12:47:38 CEST 2007

Quoting Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at linpro.no>:

> eculp at encontacto.net writes:
>> sub vcl_fetch {
>>     if (obj.http.Set-Cookie) {
>>         insert;
>>     }
>
> You should strip the Set-Cookie header before inserting the object into
> the cache:
>
> sub vcl_fetch {
>     if (obj.http.Set-Cookie) {
>         remove obj.http.Set-Cookie;
>     }
> }

Substituted the above for the "insert"  Thanks.

> (the "insert" is implicit)
>
>> 1.  Is the above the best way to cache dynamically generated CMS
>> pages?
>
> It depends on the CMS, really :)

That is what I was afraid of. ;)

>> 2.  I am running it without vhosts.  I have tried and cannot get vhosts
>>     to work.  The only thing that I've found that might work would be
>>     the vcl routines for multiple vhost backends from the vcl man page:
>>
>>        The following example shows how to support multiple sites
>>        running on separate backends in the same Varnish instance,
>>        by selecting backends based on the request URL.
>>
>>     but that seems to be overkill.  What is the recommended way to
>>     handle apache virtual hosts?
>
> The example you mention illustrates how to cache multiple virtual hosts
> served by *separate* backends.  If all your virtual hosts are on the
> same backend, you shouldn't need to do anything.

That is what I thought so it must be something in my apache vhost
configuration.  It really doesn't make sense yet, to me.

At least I now know that it does or should work.  That is the
important thing for me for now.

>> 3.  I'm also running eaccelerator for php.  Is that a good idea?
>
> I'm not familiar with eAccelerator.  If it's a byte-code cache, it will
> help speed up cache misses.  If it only caches finished pages, it's
> probably redundant but not harmful.
>
>> 4.  Is there additional documentation on initial set up?  The manuals
>>     seem to be pretty good, they have gotten me this far.
>
> I keep intending to write more documentation, but like everyone else's
> my days only have 24 hours :)

If I can get it going, the doc's that exist are pretty good.  I think
that a solid varnish is more important that the doc's for now.

Thanks for all your help and your work on varnish.

ed