Varnish as web page cache for dynamic content

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jun 20 16:53:11 CEST 2007

In message <a226f3e20706200730u66a29377p6476a97e79e5fc14 at mail.gmail.com>, "=?IS
O-8859-1?Q?Kimmo_Gl=E4borg?=" writes:

>Oh, one more thing. One of our requirements it the possibility to
>choose which content to cache and not.

Varnish will inspect the HTTP headers from your backend, and will
do as told.  If you want to do something different, you can override
the caching decision and lifetime in the VCL configuration language.

>How do an external varnish box act, as a router
>or a switch between networks?

Varnishd doesn't care, it receives requests and answers them,
using HTTP to contact the backend server when necessary.

You can put it on the same machine, on a different machine
with any number of network interfaces you like.

>Can it do loadbalancing?

Not currently.

We're working on that.