SNMP support

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Mon May 14 12:50:44 CEST 2007

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Marco Ramos <mramos at co.sapo.pt> writes:
> > Will Varnish have SNMP support in the future? It would be very nice to
> > have a Varnish MIB to check how things are going.
> First off, I'm not sure I agree, but I am biased, I've been around
> since SNMPv1 :-)

I don't think SNMP support has much value in an of itself, but it has
the advantage of being easy to integrate with existing big-name
monitoring tools such as CA Unicenter.

> Second, implementing SNMP support in a portable way is unfortunately the
> same as implementing all of SNMP, there are no agreed on portable
> API's for implementing SNMP. (Another POSIX failure there).
>
> Thirdly, somebody would have to sponsor the work.
>
> So I would say the answer to your question is: "unlikely".

One cheap way of doing it would be to write a bsnmpd plugin that reads
and exports information from the shared memory stats segment.  It would
work out of the box on FreeBSD (provided you enable bsnmpd); on other
systems, you'd have to port bsnmpd first.

Still, it's probably not something we're interested in doing without a
sponsor.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav